Saturday, April 04, 2009

Two Weeks Out


Today's two weeks since Dad died. Yesterday and the day before I was really feeling quite well, but today I'm heavy and sad again. This will be a cycle for a while, I guess.

Yesterday I picked up eight death certificates and mailed four -- along with some of my Dad's things that she'd requested, or that I thought she'd like -- to my sister. The funeral director had advised me to get multiple certificates, since they're more difficult to acquire later on, but I'm not sure I'm going to need any. I think everything's just about done now, except waiting for the last medical bills to come in and ploughing through the boxes and bags of stuff from Dad's apartment.

Since Dad's latest hospitalization, I'd been keeping a separate wallet in my purse with his cash and ID cards. Yesterday I put the ID cards (Social Security, VA, expired Mississippi driver's license, pacemaker card) in the "Dad file" and put the file away in my closet. Then I combined his cash with mine.

I guess I should destroy his ID cards, but I can't quite bring myself to do that yet. I did, with some pangs, delete his phone numbers from my cell phone. I'd already deleted all the caregiver and facility numbers, except for the main number for the Reno VA, which I may still need to call about bills.

I'm grateful that his affairs were (so far, knock wood) so simple. But it's also disconcerting to be able to "close out" eighty-six years of life in two weeks, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.