Thursday, April 16, 2009

Berkeley


The weather was gorgeous today, and despite lots of roadwork on I-80, I got to Berkeley in time for plenty of shopping. As it turned out, I only bought things at two stores: a necklace at the ACCI Gallery, and five pieces of clothing (four of them 70% off) at Bryn Walker, whose stuff I adore. Her clothing's loose, stylish and comfortable.

I spent way, way too much money, but all of it came from Dad's cash, so it won't even show up on our credit cards. I'll definitely use the clothing (and yes, Gary, I promise to throw out or donate as many things as I bought). The necklace was a bit of an extravagance, but it's a river rock in a funky cross-like setting -- the silver holding the rock forms a cross pattern -- and I have a thing both for rocks and crosses, so it will get worn, too.

Before I started shopping, I zipped up to Holy Hill to see if I could find my friend A, but I didn't see him in his usual spots. I'll try again tomorrow, if I wake up in time to get up there before I have to hit the road. I hope he's okay.

My hotel room is basic, but comfortable. It has a microwave and small fridge, but, oddly, no coffee maker. Luckily, I brought my own, since I wasn't sure I'd be able to get sufficiently strong coffee at the retreat center in Ben Lomond.

After I'd checked in, I went to the very nice Thai restaurant next door and pigged out on appetizers and a dessert. I always like appetizers better than the main courses, and it's fun to eat a lot of small things.

I haven't, alas, gotten any grading done, and given how tired I am, I suspect I'll crash after I finish this post. Yeah, yeah, I know: I should've graded instead of blogging. As usual. But it will all get done somehow, because it always does.

Tomorrow: redwoods!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.