Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Best. Story. Ever.


Today I picked up this week's issue of The New Yorker and was absolutely blown away by this story. The faerie king and queen, Titania and Oberon, adopt a human changeling who comes down with leukemia, and they stay with him in the hospital, trying to make sense of what's happening both to him and to themselves. It's beautifully written, intensely moving, lyrical, and often funny. I can't remember the last time I was so enthralled by a piece of fiction.

I've now ordered two books by the author, Chris Adrian, who's currently a pediatric oncology fellow at UCSF, has studied at Harvard divinity school, and attended the Iowa Writers Workshop. What a resume! No wonder I love this guy's writing: he shares all my preoccupations.

Read it. Then let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.