Saturday, April 04, 2009

Empty Space


After conferring with my sister, I deleted my post about the kind, lovely, extraordinarily compassionate thing that one of Dad's healthcare providers did for him, and us, because -- as several readers pointed out, and as my sister had wondered -- that kind, lovely thing was, technically, Against the Rules, and we don't want this wonderful person to be punished. I don't think that's likely from a blog post, but as my sister observed, "Some people are just mean," and I didn't want to have to worry about somebody reading the post and narcing on the person who was so nice to us.

May I observe here that HIPAA sucks? I know the reasons for it, and I know the people who instituted it did so with good intentions, but they've created a monster. The mere fact that anyone would respond to an extraordinary act of kindness with, "But Rules Were Broken!" shows the extent to which HIPAA has twisted the heads of everyone in healthcare.

And please don't post comments defending HIPAA, okay? Like I said, I know the reasons for it. I'm not interested. Aside from the fact that people stand to be punished for being nice, just think about how many continents we've deforested having to sign all those freaking forms. Ugh!

In other joyous news, I realized today that the three-month anniversary of Dad's death falls on Father's Day.

Yes, I'm cranky right now. Try to talk me out of it. I dare you.

8 comments:

  1. As needed as HIPAA's intended goal is, it is so over-reaching. Besides your example, I could come up with several that my social worker husband and some friends have had happen. Hugs and prayers to you, Susan. I always read but don't often comment. This since about this time last year--Holy Thursday washing of the feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIPAA does suck. Prayers continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems to be the case with many well intended policies. As often as people break them they also love rules and cling to them. I won't try to talk you out of this at all! :-) I agree with you. Would you like a cup of tea instead?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, 'no good deed goes unpunished' is often not a joke. Better to be cautious. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:47 AM

    Dear Susan,

    I have no intention of trying to talk you out of your crankiness! But here's a cautious wave in your potentially cranky direction and a sincere wish that life looks up and crankiness lifts sometime soon.

    Peace be with you as Holy Week begins,

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fully support your right to be cranky. Want something to throw? I keep a collection of cheap, Goodwill dishes for just this kind of occasion. They smash up real good on the driveway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I fully support your right to be cranky. I have a collection of chipped Goodwill crockery I keep on hand for those times when breaking something is the only way to cope.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.