Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mystery Animal

My mother claims that Figaro doesn't look like a cat, or at least, not as much as Bali and Harley do. (This despite the fact that Bali, by popular acclamation, is known as "Bali-bear," "Little Bear," or "puppy-cat.")

My mother can't tell me what animal he does look like, though, so I'm hoping my readers can solve the mystery. If you came upon Figgy in the wild -- with ears, even though they don't show in this shot -- what would you think you were seeing?


  1. Uh-oh. I think you're in trouble. My first thought was, "He is so a cat." But then my two year old boy Ian came by, the boy who love his kitty cat Jack, and I asked him, "What's that?" He kept looking at Figaro while he hummed, "Hmmmm, hmmmm," as if he couldn't figure it out. I'm so sorry. :)

  2. Well, I think he looks lie--well--a CAT!!! Sorry I couldn't provide anything different.

  3. Susan, I think he looks like a cat but more of an exotic or perhaps closer to one of his wild ancestors. The best example I can give of that is that some, although not all, exotics have longer ears and leaner bodies. The cheetah is definitely a cat but doesn't look much like one to me. Or at least not a domesticated one.


  4. Anonymous1:42 PM

    At least from the angle in this photo, it seems to me that it may be Figaro's particularly long nose that is causing the confusion. Perhaps, following up on Lee's suggestion, you could compare wild feline profiles ...

    Let us know what you find!



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.