Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Off to WisCon!


We're leaving tomorrow morning, first thing! Yay! We splurged on economy-plus upgrades for both flights, so we'll have extra legroom! Yay! Madison's supposed to get thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon, which could strand us in Denver! Boo!

Gary and I have spent all evening throwing every piece of clothing we own into various suitcases. I love having a husband who overpacks as much as I do. I brought some fun outfits for evening parties, and we both brought sweaters and Goretex windbreakers, because it's supposed to rain.

The cats, of course, were unbelievably fascinated by all of this. At one point, all three of them were inside my suitcase, which prompted me to sing a silly song:

The cats are in the luggage
and the corn is on the cob.
The cats are in the luggage
and the corn is on the cob.
The cats are in the luggage
and the corn is on the cob.
We're going to Wis-con-sin!

We're trying to make plans to get together for lunch with Alexis, who wrote a blog post for me listing good Madison restaurants. Thanks, Alexis!

Program items:

On Friday night from 8:45 to 10:00, I'll be part of a group reading called "Voices from the West," which I believe will be in Michelangelo's coffeeshop rather than in the advertised conference room (let's hope this gets better attendance than my other recent readings!). On Sunday from 1:00 to 2:15 p.m., I'll be on the "Domestic Fantasy" panel; on Sunday from 10:00-11:15 p.m., I'm moderating the "Writing as Spiritual Practice" panel, and on Monday from 10:00 to 11:15 a.m., I'm moderating "The Religious Left Takes to the Streets" panel. I proposed all three of these panels, so I'm happy that they were all accepted!

I've been militant about doing faith-friendly panels because too many WisCon folks are reflexively hostile to all organized religion, especially Christianity. After the "Religious Left" panel last year, someone came up to me and said, "Thank you for making WisCon safe for Christians." That really made me feel good. (The Religious Left panels have all included at least one Jew and one Muslim, women and feminists all. Yay!)

I should type out program descriptions for you, but I'm too lazy, so here's a link to the whole program. As you can see, there's lots going on at WisCon!

The hotel has free wireless, and so does Michelangelo's across the street, so I should be able to blog.

And now to finish packing! Wheeeeee!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,

    WisCon sounds wonderful! Have a great time! Thanks for linking the program. There does indeed seem to be lots to see, hear, and do. Guess I'll have to go someday.

    Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe flight and lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much every coffee shop here has free wireless, as do several bars. I think you'll like Michelangelo's, if you haven't been there, but I can't quite figure out where they're going to put you for a reading.......

    Anyway, it'll be great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I've been militant about doing faith-friendly panels because too many WisCon folks are reflexively hostile to all organized religion, especially Christianity."

    Kudos to you for doing that! :-)

    Unthinking bigotry needs to be challenged, whether it's secular or religious in origin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!1 That's *my* Dr. Alexis!1 *grin*

    I'm tickled that you guys got to meet up for lunch. She's the bees knees, and she reports that you're pretty cool yourself. (:

    Ah, the Universe is such a weird and wonderful place...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.