Thursday, May 17, 2007

Belated Bits o' Blog Business

I'm blogging very late today; I got caught up in other things this morning and afternoon. Here are a bunch of items of varying overdue-ness:

1. This week's Change of Shift is up. Alas, I missed the deadline, but I'm looking forward to reading the edition!

2. Weeks and weeks ago (months, even) I had the great honor of being tagged for the Thinking Blogger Meme by both N=1 and Disappearing John. This really means a lot to me, since I think the world of both these folks. But between my mother's surgery and the end of the semester, it's taken forever for me to tag five people in turn.

Here are the guidelines for the meme:
Should you choose to participate, please make sure you pass this list of rules to the blogs you are tagging.

The participation rules are simple:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to five blogs that make you think,

2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,

3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award.' (Shown above.)
Here's my list. It was hard to choose five, so please don't be insulted if you aren't included here!

In no particular order:

Elliot at Claw of the Conciliator, who writes thoughtful posts about faith and SF/F, among other things.

Martin at Sun and Shield, who writes thoughtful posts about the intersection between science, faith, and speculative literature.

Tiel at Knocking from Inside, whose poetry always makes me ponder both language and the world it describes.

Rachel at The Velveteen Rabbi, who's also a poet and chaplain, and who's deepened my understanding of Judaism.

Nickie at Nickie's Nook, who helps me understand both blindness and chronic pain, and who makes her readers think long and hard about disability issues, especially in social work. (And Julio gets the World's Greatest Dog award!)

3. Months ago, I registered this blog at The Truth Laid Bear, mainly because I was looking forward to being in TTLB's whimsical ecosystem. But I could never get Rickety Contrivances to show up in the ecosystem, even though the site told me my blog was already registered when I tried to register it again. Very frustrating!

But yesterday, I discovered that, lo and behold, the blog had appeared in the ecosystem after all. I was a lowly insect! That may not sound very impressive, but it has to be better than being an insignificant microbe.

And as of this morning, I'd graduated to slimy mollusc! Gosh! Look, ma: I'm evolving!

At this rate, I'll have a backbone in no time.

The only problem is that now I can't find the ecosystem widget on the TTLB site, so I have to go there to learn my evolutionary status, rather than having it show up automatically on my sidebar.


  1. Oh, thank you for the Thinking Blogger tag! I'm honored. :-)

    I tagged a quintet of folks a while back, here, so I don't know that I'll do it again so soon -- but I appreciate the shout-out.

  2. Hi, Rachel! I didn't realize you'd already been tagged -- I'm behind in my blog reading! -- so you're off the hook! ;-)

  3. Thank you for the tag! I'll work on it this week.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.