Sunday, April 22, 2007

Long Day's Journey


I'm now almost packed, and I'll have time to swim today before leaving for the airport, which will definitely be A Good Thing. On the long flight from Vegas to Philly, I got one of the last seats on the plane, in the very back row; as my mother reminds me, this means the seat won't recline. Ugh. So I'm going to take a big sweatshirt to use as a pillow. At least it's a window seat, which will give me something to lean against. I also have a goody bag of food so I won't have to buy the crud on the plane: a power bar, trail mix, dried apricots.

My sister and I are going to try to get to the hospital before the surgery tomorrow, to wish Mom good luck, which means we need to get up at 5:00 or 5:30, which means we basically won't get any sleep. My sister says we can nap in the waiting area at the hospital -- I'll bring my big sweatshirt there, too! (Pity we won't be able to curl up in Mom's empty hospital bed, although we may be too wired to sleep anyway.)

Yesterday I got some papers graded to return to students, and left them in the mailbox of the colleague who'll be covering one of my classes. That felt good. I'm also bringing a lot of work with me, but who knows how much I'll get done.

Time to swim.

1 comment:

  1. Susan, I'm just catching up on my blogs ... I'm sorry you are having such a stressful time. My thoughts are with you and your family while you navigate this turn in the road...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.