Monday, June 27, 2011

A Little Woven Thing


Last night we finished watching the second season of PBS' Craft in America, which regularly makes me cry because everything the artists are making is so beautiful. One of the artists they featured was a weaver, and I became intrigued, so last night I read an article about how to weave on a homemade cardboard loom, and this morning I made one and produced the above object, a 2.5"x4.5" bit o' fabric (rug for a mouse?) which won't make anyone cry except in pain: but hey, it's my first effort, and considering that I have no idea what I'm doing yet, I think it could have turned out much worse. It's no object of beauty, although I had fun playing with the different colored yards, but it's an honest-to-goodness piece of dense, solid, tough fabric.

Anyway, making it was fun, and I think I'm going to try to produce more objects (coasters? placemats? maybe even scarves?), because among other things, it's a nice break from knitting -- I love knitting, but other ways to play with yarn are nice too -- and it will help use up scrap yarn. I realize that everybody else in the world went through their cardboard-loom phase in elementary school, but I seem to have missed that class.

Obviously I don't already have enough hobbies.

Equally obviously, I have a lot to learn, like what to do with the warp threads. Oh, mbj, turns out that scratchy wool I bought at the art store makes a pretty decent warp, and I bet the yarn there's for weavers.

Our local art museum school is offering a weaving class in September. If I'm still interested then, I may sign up for it.

Oh! And speaking of yarn, there's going to be a knitting panel at Worldcon! And I'm on it! What fun!

4 comments:

  1. Writer, knitter, weaver....is there anything you can't do???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, plenty. Dance, sing, hit a softball, cook, or speak any language other than English, for starters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:41 AM

    Cool! I'll attend your panel to represent da crochet!
    Inez

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:43 AM

    You may come to hate me for this (I long longed for a CSW loom), but check out Continuous Strand Weaving (no warp). Pretty damn cool.
    http://www.hillcreekfiberstudio.com/
    Inez

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.