Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Diagonal Lines

Today's challenge was to weave cloth with diagonal lines, otherwise known as twill. The white portions of the cloth here came out nicely, I think, although the fabric isn't reversible. The twill pattern I used with the brown yarn is reversible, but the yarn keeps it from being very visible (even when, as in this case, I kept the weft yarn farther apart than I normally would). For any stitch I want to show, I need to use very plain, non-fuzzy yarn. In this group, that means the white: the brown and orange both do best with simple tabby stitch (one over/one under).

This morning I tried a piece alternating groups of white and brown warp threads, as per mbj's suggestion, but I was also attempting twill and did it completely wrong, so alternate warp threads on the reverse side wound up completely outside the weft. This looked like the macrame project from hell, so I didn't take a photo of it. I did bring it to tonight's church knitting group; the only other person who showed up said she liked it, so I gave it to her.

The knitting group's going to be very slow through the summer, I think, but I'll just hang in there and hope it eventually catches on.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I lived closer...I would love to join your knitting group.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.