Friday, June 03, 2011
Struggling with the manuscript today, I realized that I have to completely redo the middle section -- a hundred pages -- to make the chronology work. This will probably mean that I'll have to redo a chunk of the final hundred pages, too, but I always knew that was likely.
I'm pretty discouraged, but as Gary says, at least I'm in there wrestling with the beast (and at least I've figured out what I need to do to fix one of the big problems with this project, although I still wonder if the dratted thing will ever be any good). So many of the edits I've already made are now irrelevent that, starting tomorrow, I'm just going to start all over again at the beginning of the book, but on the computer this time. Now the goal will be to produce a fresh manuscript which can then be line-edited.
My brain hurts.