Monday, June 20, 2011

Go, Little Book

As of this morning, the ED Sonnets are on submission at the Bellevue Literary Press. This is a stratospherically prestigious market -- the Knopf of medical humanities -- and the sonnet sequence is an odd, and oddly shaped, little project, so I expect this submission to be the first of many. But, as I always tell my writing students when we talk about sending out manuscripts, start at the top.

Gary thinks very highly of the sequence, and he's invariably a better judge of how my work will strike readers than I am, so that bodes well. (And no, he doesn't automatically praise my stuff just because he's my husband. I've learned over the years that if he says a given piece of writing doesn't work, none of the editors I send it to will think it works, either. This is both slightly galling and really useful.)

BLP says their response time is four to six weeks, which is both unusually fast and a small enough window that it will be difficult for me not to obsess the entire time. But it's not like I don't have other things to keep me busy, so I'm going to try not to think about it.

And on that note, back to work on the novel.


  1. Anonymous8:08 PM

    It's kind of like sending your kids to camp, isn't it? Will they have fun? Will they be treated well? Will someone buy them -- well, there the analogy breaks down. But someday, one of my stories will come back to me with a hand made lanyard.....

  2. Anonymous9:12 AM

    Congratulations on sending it out! That's an achievement already,



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.