Friday, October 22, 2010

Hurray for Rocking Chairs

Rather predictably, I got no work done yesterday. This morning I woke up feeling worse rather than better and limped in to see my primary-care doc -- getting out of the car was a very interesting exercise! -- who seconded the MRI recommendation but also said that he'd always recommend physical therapy over surgery, whatever the diagnosis. Yesterday's doc had said that depending on what the MRI showed, surgery might be the best option, but I'll do almost anything to avoid it. I'm told there are people who've had good outcomes from back surgery, but I've never met any.

So, anyway, I was glad that my primary agreed with trying therapy first. He wants me to start with it right away; some friends have gone to someone they greatly prefer to the outfit normally used by our insurance, and although this therapist technically isn't covered by our insurance, he charges the $20 copay and whatever insurance gives him. So I've given that info to my doctor so he can provide a referral.

He also put me on a different muscle relaxant; they're all pretty much the same, he said, but some people have different reactions to different drugs. My pharmacist said that this one, after the first few doses, is less sedating than the one I had been on, and that people even go to work on it. This is very good news.

After the new drug and a nap, I'm feeling more comfortable than I have in two or three days. Thanks be to God! The back's not normal, but it no longer feels like it's constantly on the verge of spasm. Now I have to figure out how to get work done. I'm currently in our family room, in a rocking chair that tilts way back, with my feet up on the coffee table and my back and head supported and cushioned by lots of pillows. I seem to be able to type comfortably this way; we'll see how it works for grading papers. I have my dad's old lap desk, which should help.

When I was picking up the new meds, I also bought a new thermometer, since our old ones have broken or gone missing. All I saw were digital; the pharmacist told me that the old standby, the little glass tube with mercury in it, is now illegal for medical use, although one can still get them in hardware and hobby stores. I was annoyed -- I've never liked the digital ones as well -- but progress marches on.

Figgy was a real lap cat today. After I ate my lunch (also in the rocking chair) he got on my lap for a snuggle. He got down when Bali showed up, since Bali's the alpha around here, but he came back later. First he lay across my lap. Then he lay across my chest, right under my chin. (I wound up with fur all over my face, natch. Cats are so generous that way.) Then he moved back to my lap, with his head snuggled in my armpit. I think he's trying to make me feel better. I just hope he isn't trying to tell me he's sick, which is what that armpit move sometimes means. Figgy and Bali, please stay healthy for a long time!

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing like a good snuggle with a cat. A nice sharp whisker up your nose and that irritating tickling on your face for the rest of the day. You know you're loved.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.