Thursday, September 16, 2010

Me and my Webcam


Here I am, looking a bit bleary-eyed; behind me you can see a mirror reflecting the mess and chaos of my study. My office at work is even worse at the moment!

In this picture, I'm wearing earrings Mom gave me and a glass pendant that was hers. I think one reason I was so wobbly on Saturday was that it was the five-month anniversary of her death. Gary and I have now made a hotel reservation in San Francisco for Christmas week; I talked to my sister and she's all for a hassle-free, unpressured holiday for all of us. I was afraid she'd be offended that I didn't want to spend Christmas with her. Actually, I wouldn't at all mind spending Christmas with her; I just don't want to have to fly to Philadelphia during the holidays.

Isn't it time for somebody to invent a teleportation machine? The magazines I read when I was a kid all assured me that technology would be old hat by now, and it would make life so much easier.

Gary and I have agreed that we won't give each other Christmas gifts; the week away is a joint gift. Although if I found a teleportation machine somewhere, I might make an exception. Sharper Image, anyone?

Anyway, if the weather cooperates, San Francisco should be fabulous. Fun. Simple. I like it. I think our hotel room may have a fireplace, which would absolutely rock. But even if it doesn't, being next to Ocean Beach will rock anyway, even in December.

2 comments:

  1. According to Star Trek, the Transporter won't be invented until the 22nd Century and we shouldn't forget that 100 years later McCoy is still skeptical of it as a form of transportation -- we can see why in ST: The Slow Motion Picture.

    My guess is that they haven't solved the problems related to separating us from the flies yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:52 PM

    We may well remember the occasion when a similar device was tested on an animal subject in the historical document GalaxyQuest:

    [Fred tries to digitize the pig-lizard]
    Jason Nesmith: What? What was that?
    Alexander Dane: Uh, nothing.
    Jason Nesmith: I heard some squealing or something.
    Gwen DeMarco: Oh, no. Everything's fine.
    Teb: But the animal is inside out.
    Jason Nesmith: I heard that! It turned inside out?
    Teb: And it exploded.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.