Friday, September 24, 2010

Dad's Pottery

So here's the memorial ceramic piece. I love the contrast of the stark trees with the rich brown glaze, and I like the reminder that the ashes incorporated into the glaze are the stuff of the soil from which trees grow.

Here's the inside glaze, which is mostly red with some blue bits. Dad's favorite color was red, and the ocean he loved is blue, so that works too.

I hope he'd have approved of this odd little object; I think he'd have appreciated its usefulness, anyway. And I suppose it doesn't really matter. The opinion that counts now is mine, and I love this piece.

Driving home with it on the passenger seat next to me, I felt like he was there. But I guess, in any way that matters, he always is.


  1. Beautiful pot and yes, he always is with you. Everything that ever was still is. The best part of our memories is that we can pick and chose which ones to keep and you, my dear, have a beautiful pot to keep yours in.

  2. Anonymous10:13 AM

    Dear Susan,

    Thank you for the photos - those trees on that pot are beautiful.



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.