Friday, August 06, 2010

Bourgeois Consumer: Guilty as Charged

I've resisted the e-reader trend for lo, these several years, largely because my job leaves me so text-tired that my favorite way of "reading" these days is listening to books on Audible. I've also downloaded free Kindle programs for my PC and Blackberry; the Blackberry offers a surprisingly useful reading experience, although my eyes start crossing fairly quickly from the small screen.

My credit card has one of those rewards programs where you accumulate points towards various free goodies. Browsing their catalogs, I discovered that they offered Sony e-readers. Intrigued by the idea of getting one of these gizmos for free, I started doing research, a task made easier by the fact that Liz has a Sony Touch and let me play with it when we were in Arizona. I loved the annotation feature, but didn't like the glary screen or lack of wireless. The Sony Pocket, also offered by the rewards program, has a better screen, but no annotation feature, and the same lack of wireless.

I was going to get the Touch anyway, but -- to make a long story short -- today I caved in and just went ahead and ordered one of the new Kindles, which I'll get mid-September, if I'm lucky, because everyone else is doing the same thing. It has wireless and 3G and a keyboard for annotations and a non-glare screen, plus a "read to me" feature, and I already have a bunch of Kindle books, and the Sony was more and more seeming like second-best, and I'm about to turn fifty, and Gary and I agreed that this is my birthday gift, even though the cruise already sort of was.

Also, I got an apple-green leather cover. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all those credit-card points.

Later: We can use the credit-card points for a $250 account credit, which will pay for the Kindle and cover. Yee-hah!


  1. Congrats on the new acquisition (when it arrives) and congrats on getting off the meds. Free stuff, med free, free your is good!

  2. Anonymous11:11 PM

    Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Susan, happy birthday to you!

    And welcome back from Arizona,



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.