Saturday, June 05, 2010

Unproductivity, with Ashes


Is that even a word? Probably not. But it is now!

So we've been back a week, or a bit less, and I've gotten very, very little done, because all I really want to do is knit. To be more precise, all I really want to be doing is knitting on a cruise ship, but since that's not possible, all I want to do is knit at home.

This isn't helping my book get written.

I have done things other than knit this week: I've exercised almost every day, had a very solid and satisfying hospital shift this afternoon, took Harley to the vet for a routine checkup (Figgy and Bali go next week), and moderated this year's final Lit & Med discussion group at the VA. I've also, as of this evening, finally gotten back into practicing the fiddle. Yay!

But I haven't written. Or cleaned up my study. Or attended to the ragtag ends of the semester still requiring attention.

We've made some progress on the Deck Project: Gary contacted a contractor who gave us an estimate of $13,000 to replace, with redwood, only the current version of our very large deck. We'd hoped to add a second story, but clearly can't afford it. And this guy estimates that replacing the current deck will take a month. Huh?

Deck timing has become newly crucial as of this evening. I suggested to my sister that maybe, since scattering Dad in the oily waters of the Gulf doesn't appeal to us, and since he loved eating dinner on our deck, we should have a party in his honor on our deck on July 14, his birthday, and figure out someplace to scatter him around here. I didn't think she'd like the idea, but, unexpectedly, she ran with it. Liz and her son Owen will be coming out here; Gary and I will fly Fran out; we've invited Dad's closest friends from the Gulf and also one of his nurses from the Reno VA. I have no idea if any of them will be able to come, but while I initially liked the idea of everyone coming here, I'm now feeling a bit panicky. Will the deck be done by then? Should we cook the food ourselves, or have the party catered? And where will we scatter Dad?

On Monday I'll call the funeral home where he was cremated and ask them about regulations and legalities. In the meantime, there are a number of services that, for not too much money -- $150-250, say -- will scatter cremains from a plane. We could have him scattered over the Sierra Nevada, or over and into the Pacific Ocean. We couldn't be there, of course, but the companies sell videos for just that reason. Also, they're all certified and legal and know local regulations (although I'm sure Dad wouldn't mind getting into trouble one last time!).

Dad loved Pyramid Lake, but Liz points out that since the lake's on a Piaute Reservation, it's almost certainly illegal, as well as unethical, to scatter him there. Also, I definitely want him somewhere with access to ocean.

Research must be done. A deck must be built. A study must be reorganized. A novel must be written.

But all I really want to do is knit socks.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.