Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Scary Scaredy Cat

Last week, Harley went to the vet for his check-up. He yowled and fussed, but survived the ordeal. Yesterday, Figgy went to the vet for his check-up. He was paralyzed with terror, but survived the ordeal.

Today, Bali was supposed to go to the vet for his check-up. We couldn't even get him into the carrying case. At one point, Gary grabbed him and almost got him in, but the shrieking, hissing, spitting, howling banshee-blur of fur wiggled away from him and escaped. Bali, claws and teeth at the ready, wedged himself firmly behind Gary's computer desk and made it very clear that he'd defend himself against all comers.

We decided that we wouldn't survive the ordeal.

I called our vet. What to do? Could I race down there (they're only a few blocks away) for some kitty-valium? No, because it's been over a year since Bali's last check-up, so it's illegal for them to give him drugs.

However, it turns out that our vet will make house calls for an extra $50. She's going to come tomorrow, armed with kitty tranks. If she doesn't succeed in doping and examining him, she won't charge us anything. He's normally a fairly sociable cat, so it's possible that he'll be fine without tranks, as long as the dreaded carrying case isn't visible and his humans haven't been pouncing on him.

Poor Bali! Gary thinks he was traumatized for life by early removal from his mother; I think he was traumatized by hospitalization during his kittenhood, when he had an upper respiratory infection and was running a 105-degree fever and we had to rush him down to Animal Emergency, where they kept him for three days. Whatever the issue is, he absolutely freaks when the carrying case comes out. He's even worse than our old cat Pyewacket, who was the terror of vets in three states and collected all kinds of colorful warning stickers on his files. Pye's last vet used to put the entire carrying case into a gas chamber and dope him with trank gas before she even tried to take him out, but at least Gary always managed -- albeit with difficulty -- to get him in.

I wish our brave vet luck tomorrow!


  1. Have you tried leaving the carrier out all the time? I take the door off and leave it in a corner; my cat sometimes chooses to sleep inside. He still tries to hide if he hears me put the door back on -- he knows what that means -- but the box itself is not an immediate source of terror. (once at the vet, he doesn't want to come out of the carrier, but that's resolved by removing the screws and taking the top half off altogether.)

    good to have the house-call option, in any case!

  2. Anonymous7:41 AM

    Poor Bali! Poor humans!

    Makes me remember the story that when my brother was four or five y.o. and the family lived on base, the clinic actually had to call in two MPs to hold him down for a shot!


  3. Anonymous11:04 AM

    Reminds me of my cat Billie who, even so sick that she could barely hold her head up, could still summon the energy to climb my torso like a tree and snarl at the vet from the top of my head when he came into her examining room.

    I'm glad the other cats did well, and I hope Bali gets a good check up too.

    Yay for vets that make house calls!


  4. Our process is to get the cat carrier out a day or so ahead of time. We also have one that opens from the top (Petmate Double Door Deluxe Pet Carriers) which makes it a LOT easier to load a squirming cat. On the day of the trip to the vet we are very careful not to rattle the doors of the cage (which would warn the cats. We can usually get the cat in through the top before they've had a chance to figure out that it is time to fight.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.