Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Shaping Up

We're getting another bid on the deck tomorrow. Meanwhile, we now know how we'll scatter Dad. My friend Sherry, one of my priests, has an uncle-in-law (her husband's uncle) who's a lay chaplain for the Coast Guard Auxiliary in Oregon. They do burials at sea. She suggested that I call him, and sure enough, not only is he willing to do it, but he'd be happy to do it on Dad's birthday and will try to do it from a sailboat, rather than one of the "stinkpots" Dad disliked.

Yay! I really like the idea of Dad going home to the ocean eighty-eight years after his birth, especially if the sailboat part works out. There's something very satisfying about that.

The downside, of course, is that we won't be there. But the Reno party's shaping up, too. I made Fran's plane reservations yesterday; Liz and my nephew Owen made theirs today. And today I got e-mail from two of Dad's Mississippi friends (who've now moved North, I think to New Jersey) that they'll be joining us in their RV. Liz and I are excited, and it will be great for Fran to see them again. We didn't expect any of Dad's old crowd to be able to make it, so this will really be a treat.


  1. maybe you can get a ship to shore transmittal and the man doing the scattering can talk you through it, or, ideally, video tape it for you.

  2. Anonymous11:01 AM

    I'm so glad to hear that these plans are shaping up well for you.



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.