Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Taking a Break


So I saw my psychiatrist today, as advertised. She's upping my meds dosage, unless a) my insurance won't pay for it (the pharmacy's checking on that) or b) I have side effects, in which case she'll bump the current med back down and augment it with something else.

In the meantime, I'm taking another sabbatical from the hospital. She advised me to take a month to regain my energy, but I'm extending that to Halloween, since I have a lot going on in October.

To tell you the truth, I'm a little relieved (although I also feel like a wimp). I love volunteering at the hospital, but it's also exhausting -- especially on Saturday mornings, when I'd rather be sleeping in -- and I'm sufficently drained at the moment that I don't feel very useful anyway. Time to recharge the batteries.

I showed the good doc my to-do list; she shook her head and said, "I'm tired just looking at that."

Indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:10 AM

    I think taking off through October is a great idea.

    I can commiserate. Undergoing a lot of stress w/ changes at work due to layoffs, and I'm afraid of the effect it might have on my neurotransmitters. Just have to wait and see, and get back to exercise and meditation in the meantime. It all seems so overwhelming sometimes.

    Thanks for sharing, as always.

    Jeff P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for the doctor. Good for you. Rest is a good thing. I saw a visitor on Saturday who had lost a parent a year and a half ago and couldn't figure out why he was feeling so awful. Well.... you and I know the answer to that question! Take care of you, and when you have a little more rest, look at that to-do list and whack, ruthlessly, anything possible. Gary did wonderfully on the birthday presents! Love the elephant coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz Lasater1:34 PM

    I am glad that you are taking a deserved break. Right now I'm working at Renown and just being up on the floors, seeing the suffering, I can get overwhelmed and I take a mental break. It was almost a blessing when I came down with H1N1 because I got a break. I had to take a step back and realize that if I don't take care of myself first, how am I going to take care of anybody else? So, knit, relax, swim, and rest =)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.