Sunday, September 13, 2009

Another New Project!

Woo-hoo! Charlene Adzima responded to my e-mail and is willing to take me on as a student (if we can find a workable time, since she usually teaches on Wednesday afternoons, when I'm teaching my own classes). I'm quite thrilled. I downloaded her album yesterday and love it, and she works at the University and lives and teaches not far from our house, so it all seems quite providential. And I've discovered that I can rent a student violin for a reasonable rate from our local music store.

This remains an insane undertaking on several levels, of course, and various friends and family seem alarmed, or at least very badly puzzled. I can't blame them. But I figure the worst that can happen is that I'll make a fool of myself, and hey, that's not so new!

Gary said, "You do realize you'll have to spend less time on knitting?" Yes, dear. I'm also concerned about when I'll practice; my best time would ordinarily, probably, be first thing in the morning, but I don't want to wake Gary up. If he's already up, he can wear headphones and listen to his own music.

He said, "Hey, I'll sleep on the deck."

I said, "Sweetie, if I'm as bad as I think I'll be, you'll need to sleep in another state."

There are gizmos called "practice muters" that allow you to play really quietly, to protect the ears and sanity of loved ones and neighbors. I may need to invest in one of those.

The upside of this is that music training late in life, especially on a mondo-difficult instrument like the violin, supposedly helps prevent dementia. So I'm not embarking on an ill-advised, impractical new hobby; I'm safeguarding my health!


  1. I think you need to stop being so pessimistically apologetic.

    Your description of feeling like the instrument was a living being from which you had to coax a sound -- oh, so gently -- is definitely not an everyday occurrence. No, not everyone feels that when they first hold a strange instrument in their hands.

    Kudos to you for following through on this miraculous (not "foolish" at all!) impulse. I can't wait to hear how your newfound relationship (with the living violin) develops.

  2. If you had taken up guitar or some other "easy" instrument, nobody would doubt you for a second. That fiddle is YOUR instrument. Don't question it, and for goodness sake, don't even bother to try and explain it.

    It's not insane. It's perfectly sane, and I salute your commitment to something that grabbed you at such a visceral level!

  3. Liz Lasater8:41 AM

    I bought a really heavy metal mute from Maytan. it sits on top of the bridge and I think it's quieter than my regular mute. That might be worth looking into. I love playing the viola, and I think you will really enjoy the violin. Once your bow technique is down you will be unstoppable!

  4. Deborah Roggie12:09 PM

    Diving in and learning something new and challenging is one of the most healing things you can do for yourself. Go for it!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.