Sunday, February 01, 2009

Not-Moving Day


Well, I really did a number on my back. This morning I woke up at about five with hideous back spasms whenever I tried to move. I screamed whenever they hit, which of course woke Gary up too. He brought me food, ubuprofen, and the muscle relaxant I took during my last back episode (luckily, I had some left; they expire this month, but I'm taking them anyway).

It was several hours before I could move without significant pain. I managed to roll over and sit up so I could drink coffee; then I crawled on my hands and knees, literally, to the bathroom ("She's out of the gate!" Gary said), and then I managed to hobble a little using a hiking staff as a cane.

Now I'm propped up in bed with my briefcase on the floor next to me and Harley lying at my feet. Gary's out hiking, but I told him to keep his cellphone on in case I need to call him.

Dad's new phone is working, so I've spoken to him a number of times today. He was up at 6:30 and went down for breakfast; he liked the food but wasn't thrilled with the company. I just called to remind him that it's time for lunch. He said, "There's nothing I can do about that unless they come get me," and I said, "But Dad, you can push your button so they'll come see what you need." He'd forgotten about that.

I told him I didn't think I'd be able to drive today to get over there. Perfect timing, eh? My back went out only when my body knew that Dad would be all right without me.

Amazing things, bodies!

9 comments:

  1. Susan, I'm sorry to hear about your back. It's good though that you have some medication to help deal with it till you can see a doctor if necessary. Prayers for healing! Also prayers that your Dad will come around as he gets used to his new home.

    Hugs! & A Gentle Massage!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:00 AM

    That Gary. _Everybody's_ a comedian.

    Jeff P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I am sending you various visions of white light, warm sandy beaches, and soothing ocean waves... May you get the rest you need.

    I work as a CNA in an assisted living facility that sounds similar to your dad's, and I imagine that with a little time and support he will find good things about living in the community.

    I don't know if my facility serves wine with dinner, though they do have a cocktail hour on Fridays. I work in the dementia unit, where the beverage selection typically includes cranberry juice, orange juice, or ginger ale.

    Take care of yourself, and much love,

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    I am sending you visions of white light, sandy beaches, soothing ocean waves...

    Take care,
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure hope you are feeling better and nothing else has "happened..." Prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:52 AM

    Haven't see a post for a couple of days and I hope all is well with both your family and your back. Warmest wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm concerned... Your plate's been way too full for too long, and now a back injury. Lots of prayers have been going up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You haven't posted for a few days, I hope everything is OK?

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long time you no post. Praying all is reasonably well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.