Thursday, February 26, 2009

Another Month, Another Move

My Dad's physical therapist just called to tell me that she doesn't feel he's safe in the assisted-living facility, which is too large for his needs; she doesn't feel we're getting the services he needs (especially for what we're paying), even though she likes the place. I tend to agree.

She's recommending that he go into a group home, which is one of the options we'd been exploring before. The upsides will be more personal attention, possibly for less money. If we can get him a place with his own room and phone, that would be great. I gather that under those conditions, he'd even be amenable.

The downside is that we'll have to move him again. He's not even fully out of his old apartment yet: Gary and I were going to work on that today.

I'm very tired. But if we can find someplace that will work, it will be worth it.

I'll post my Ash Wednesday homily tonight. I meant to do it last night, but it got away from me.


  1. Oh dear! Susan, the only good thing I can think of besides what you've already mentioned is that every move you make the amount of stuff you have to move seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Maybe that's a good thing?

    Prayers ascending that you find a place that he likes and will give him all he needs.

    Really looking forward to the homily! Heard my first ever chanted Eucharist last night. Very spiritual!


  2. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Oh Susan,
    What distressing news.

    I got my mother moved to her new apartment today, and I'm just exhausted. I'm hoping that by moving her closer to the dining room she'll not have any more falls.

    We'll find something good for your Dad. There are several group homes in the northwest.



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.