Wednesday, March 14, 2007

"A Potent Brew of Mystery and Heartache"

That's how A.M. Dellamonica of SCI FI Weekly describes The Fate of Mice. It's generally a very positive review, although Dellamonica seems a bit unnerved by the "chilly, haunting and at times deeply disturbing" tone of most of the stories.

Maybe as a result, this review is in the thumbs-up camp on "G.I. Jesus:" "Her closing piece, 'GI Jesus,' is both uplifting and uproariously funny, and it offers a few delightful surprises." Which just goes to show you that tastes differ! And speaking of taste, Dellamonica appends a note to the end of the review advising readers that "these stories are like fine chocolate or good olives -- delicious, intense experiences -- but ones that are probably best savored at generous intervals."

Wow. To the best of my knowledge, my writing has never been compared to chocolate or olives before.

At my bookstore reading on Saturday, I warned the audience that the book is generally quite dark. A friend from church scoffed and said, "Susan, you don't have a dark bone in your body!"

I told him that he doesn't know me very well.


  1. Good review! I agree with the food analogy. Did your friend express any difference of opinion after your reading?


  2. Hi, Lee! Not after the reading, no. I'll be curious to hear his comments after he's read the book!

  3. Tell him you have dark chocolate bones! (Or anyway your writing does.)

  4. Hmmm. I have a fondness for dark, and sometimes deeply disturbing stuff. A cherished Christmas present was Avram Davidson's posthumous collection, The Other Nineteenth Century. I continue to retell the plots of Clarke's "The Star" and "The Nine Billion Names of God." Sounds intriguing to me.

  5. Marshall -- Yes, this collection might be perfect for you!

    Have you read Maria Doria Russell's THE SPARROW? That's a very disturbing book!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.