Friday, March 16, 2007


At least, that's the idea . . . except that Gary and I are now worried about whether we'll actually get there tomorrow, because when we went to the Aloha site to print out our boarding passes, we learned that our itinerary had been changed: instead of going through Santa Ana to Maui, we were on a direct flight to Honolulu, and then to Maui. I called the airline to confirm this and to ask about seat assignments, and learned that not only were we on the new flight, but the new flight had now been delayed by two hours (which will at least let us sleep later tomorrow morning). I called the friends we'll be traveling with to update them, and one of them called me back to say that the Aloha people had informed her that yes, the plane really was delayed, and furthermore, it was also now going to stop in Orange County before continuing to Honolulu.

Gary and I can't wait to see what will have changed when we get to the airport tomorrow morning. I'm thinking they're going to issue us bicycles and wetsuits, and tell us to ride to a beach in LA and then swim.

In the meantime, my father's been in and out of the ER this evening, which ratcheted up my stress level a bit. And my mother may be having surgery in the next few weeks. And I'm feeling slightly guilty about going on vacation instead of going to Philadelphia to see my parents -- although both parents would say that was nonsense, since they want me to have a nice vacation. (I asked my mother if she wanted me to fly out for the surgery, and she said, "What? Of course not! Don't be ridiculous!")

So it's been a weird day. Between bouts of medical stuff and airline perplexity, I bought new shorts and a new bathing suit (I'm bringing four: should that be enough?) and packed as much as I can tonight, since I'll have to pack up the CPAP tomorrow morning. The cat-sitters have been given keys and gotten the litterbox tour. The cats have climbed in and out of open suitcases and perched on top of closed ones.

I don't know if I'll be blogging from Maui, since both time and internet access may be in short supply (the resort where we're staying doesn't have wireless, so I'll need to look for coffee shops). We are bringing the digital camera, but Gary doesn't want to take pictures and I'm not a very good photographer, so we'll see if anything comes of that. So if you post a comment here and it doesn't show up for a week, please know that that's because I haven't been online to approve it, not because I've rejected you!

I'll be back in a week, if not sooner. If, that is, we actually leave tomorrow.

Aloha, everybody. And please pray that Gary and I, and our friends, indeed reach Maui within the next twenty-four hours.


  1. Aloha Susan. Prayers ascending. Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself. I want to see a picture of you in a lei. Don't forget that leis probably make great kitty toys. (g)


  2. Oh, Maui!! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

  3. Have a GREAT time, you guys!

  4. Anonymous5:56 PM

    Susan and Gary, Bill and I just returned from Kauai "very early" this morning. The flight from SFO to Reno was overbooked due to a late flight from Mauai. We volunteered to stay overnight for a free flight, but Bill was too late to the starting gate for that.

    The Islands are salubrious, if for nothing else than the skin of desert dwellers. I bet four swim suits are plenty. We used 50 sun screen and still got some tan. Allen was in the water all the time. 50 barely kept him from burning.

    Eat, swim, sun and be merry. Rest, relax and recreate.

    Life's a beach -- at least for a week!

    Sharon, Bill, and Allen. (Todd had to work and couldn't come.)

  5. I'm envious! Have a good time!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.