Sunday, March 04, 2007

Lenten Confessions

Our preacher today, a member of the clergy, spoke very movingly about feeling distanced from God and wanting a more personal relationship with God. This is someone who's recently become conscious of a gut belief in a God of punishment, despite the strongest possible intellectual belief in a God of love. "I don't know where to look for that God."

I was incredibly impressed that an ordained person was that willing to be vulnerable in the pulpit (or anywhere else, for that matter). That really took guts, and I'm sure people in the pews were more willing to be open about their own fears and doubts as a result.

Afterwards, I gave the preacher a hug and said, "God does love you; you know that, right?"

"Sometimes I know it."

"Well, when you don't know it, remember that we love you, and look for God in us."

I hope that helped, although I'm sure the problem can't be fixed just with hugs and affection. Hugs and affection can't hurt, though.

I wonder how many other clergy have crises of faith, and how many are comfortable talking about them in church. I'm glad our parish is a place where it's safe to do that.


  1. Any chance of posting a copy of this sermon, or directing us to your church's website if it's posted there?

  2. Wish I'd been able to hear that sermon, Susan. About a year ago I was feeling distanced from God and to a certain extent still do. The connection is coming back in stages. I hope your preacher works his faith out.


  3. Hi, Lee and Maggie! No, I don't think it's on the website. I could ask for a copy, but I'm not sure this person would want it posted on the blog. This is someone who doesn't preach often and is pretty shy about it . . . and that was a homily that felt to me as if it was intended "just for family," so to speak. But I'll ask!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.