Tuesday, August 15, 2006

News of Mice

Today Jacob Weisman, my editor from Tachyon, called to talk about the table of contents for my story collection The Fate of Mice, which is coming out in February. (You'll find a link to its Amazon page in the sidebar. You can pre-order, if you want to. I'm just sayin'.) Of the eighteen stories I submitted, the collection will definitely contain ten, including three brand-new, never-before-published stories that I wrote between April and July. One of those, which I wrote in virtually one sitting when I was completely zonked out on muscle relaxants after throwing my back out -- kids, don't try this at home -- is probably the darkest thing I've ever produced. And if you've read my story "Gestella," you know that's saying something!

Jacob and I are negotiating over another two or three stories, pieces I'm fonder of than he is. Several older stories are being consigned to merciful oblivion.

I'm excited about finally having a story collection, especially with such a cool cover. Is that cover fabulous, or what? This is the first time I've gotten memorable cover art on the first try. Jacob tells me that books with cats on the cover tend to sell well, although this kitty doesn't look particularly cuddly (especially in the context of the title). He also reports that this is the first time Tachyon's had a feline cover; may it do well for all of us!

Yesterday's mail brought my contributor's copies of Jonathan Strahan's Science Fiction: The Very Best of 2005, which includes my story "The Fate of Mice." As I mentioned in an earlier post, that same story's reprinted in Rich Horton's Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2006 Edition.

Okay, I think I've done enough self-promotion for one day. I'd better go lie down now.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:27 AM

    Hey, congratulations!

    I'm glad you're self promoting; I found your blog through Grand Rounds, and I've just been making my way through it, and if it hadn't been for your brief lapse into shamelessness, I'd never have known you were a fiction author! And I'm completely in the market for your books, too, so glad to know of it.

    I'm also in the market for hearing some good news from another writer, for various reasons. So even in self-promotion, you're inspiring:).

    -Clatter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Clatter! What do you write? (I also have two novels out; you'll find links to them in the sidebar.)

    Good luck with your own projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just re-read your short story "Ever After" in an old Dozois "Best Of" and I was hoping that one would make it into the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jo! Yes, "Ever After" is in. Jacob orginally didn't want to use it, but I'm glad he changed his mind.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.