Thursday, August 03, 2006

Masks for Peace

PRI's "The World" had a story today about a "Creativity for Peace" camp in New Mexico. Arab, Israeli and Palestinian teenagers, all girls, spend three weeks at the camp sharing their stories with each other and working together on art and leadership projects. Here's a short online story with photos of the art projects, which include mask-masking. I started crying when I looked at the pictures, because they reminded me so much of making my own mask in Berkeley class last week. (If you're new to this blog, you can read about that class here).

The audio version of the story mentions how much trust it takes for these teens to lean back and let someone from "the other side" cover their faces with plaster strips. You can hear the audio clip if you go here, scroll down to the Peace Camp story, and click on the audio icon. This page also includes a link to the Peace Camp site.

Gary heard this story on PRI and did online research while I was at the hospital tonight, so he could send me all the links. Thanks, Gar! His comment about the mask-making for peace project was, "If that's not a Rickety Contrivance of Doing Good, I don't know what is."

I do find myself wondering why the camp's only for girls. Does anyone know anything about this, or have theories?

In hospital news, my volunteer coordinator has given me permission to write about my experiences, as long as I talk only about myself and not about specific visits, and as long as I don't give any information that could be used to identify anyone else. So I'll start blogging about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.