Thursday, August 03, 2006

Art for Lent

Many churches, including ours, have Lenten study groups: weekly potluck dinners during Lent that incorporate prayer or discussion. A mask-making project like the one I described in my previous post might be a really interesting Lenten activity: a chance for people to become Lazarus, to have friends wrap and untie them, and to explore what either the old or new versions of themselves look like.

Now that I think of it, I'm quite taken with the idea of an entire "Art for Lent" series. Last year I had the idea of doing a small drawing every day as a Lenten discipline, but it didn't happen because I was so busy with other things (I always joke that I need to give up Lent for Lent). Having people get together once a week to do artwork around Lenten themes could be a very refreshing pause in the middle of what's always -- for me, anyway -- an entirely too hectic season.

I love the idea of visual prayer, although I don't do as much as I'd like. It's a very effective way of cutting through the rote aspect of so much verbal prayer.

Hmmmm. Must think about this more! Does anybody know of churches that have done something like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.