Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Housecleaning


Well, the e-mail conversion process is still underway. Yesterday, Gmail imported both my AOL address book (an unholy mess) and my old messages: over 2,000 of them (!), most of which I deleted. I've also started unsubscribing from a lot of e-mail lists, primarily from retailers; this is something I should have done a while ago. I cleaned up the address book on my desktop and set up my phone with Google Sync. Unfortunately, the way that worked is that the old, unbelievably outdated and redundant address book wound up everywhere, overwriting the new, neater one.

Gah.

My poor little BlackBerry is now completely confused and won't show me mail from anywhere. In fact, it periodically tells me it can't even find a network. I suspect I'll have to take it into the shop.

I desperately need to apply this same dogged energy to my physical environment: my home and work offices are both almost as chaotic as the AOL address book. But at least I'm doing something, right?

Oh, and I've applied to be a test driver for the new Chrome Notebook, on the theory that you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. In fact, I've applied twice: the second time, I told them I'd just switched to gmail and also said that since I'm a gray-haired, middle-aged female professor, I won't be the typical twenty-something technogeek (they say they want a variety of users). Then I begged, shamelessly. Maybe the squeaky wheel will get the grease?

A squeaky-wheel analogy doesn't work at all on the internet. What would the equivalent be? Oh, heavens, please don't tell me I've become a spammer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.