Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Dad Goes for a Ride

The weather was gorgeous here today, sunny and warm, so when I stopped by Dad and Fran's with some things from the grocery store, I asked Dad if he wanted to go for a ride in the car. First he said he wanted to; then he didn't; then, after some coaxing, he allowed as how he'd enjoy a scooter ride better. So he got dressed, and I loaded up one of the big oxygen tanks on the scooter, and away we went.

Here he is outside the apartment building; I'd asked him to smile, so of course he scowled instead, just to be contrary!

Here's a shot of his back (less clear than the first, since he was moving). You can see his funny hat, and also the teddy bear I gave him during one of his hospital visits, which Fran tucked into the back pocket of the scooter.

Dad maneuvered very well and showed no signs of falling off curbs, a tendency which had alarmed me back in Philadelphia. We didn't go far -- just a few blocks in either direction -- but I think it was nice for him simply to get outside, for a change! Fran said he ate a lot today, and I think that may be because he went out yesterday for his paratransit interview (which both of them passed), so I'm hoping that today's short expedition means he'll eat a lot tomorrow, too.

Here's a funny shot of him in his hat and sunglasses: Super-Daddy! (I didn't make the hat, if anyone's wondering!) Friday we're having lunch at the Senior Center with Katharine and her father. I have a lot of work to do tomorrow -- as I did today, although it didn't get done! -- but I'd like to think of some small outing for then, too. It would be great if I could get him out of the house once a day, to something other than a doctor's appointment.

Maybe we'll have them over to the house? That will be easier when he has more small oxygen tanks, though -- he's down to one (more should have been delivered yesterday, but weren't!) -- because a big tank and four people can't all fit in the car easily.

Oh, and my mother went home from the rehab place today, and sounds very happy about it. Yay!


  1. What a great way to end the new year! Glad your Dad had fun and that both he and Fran passed their paratransit interviews.

    Hooray for your Mom too! Good news all around it seems.

    Happy New Year!

  2. glad your folks are feeling better -- a lovely start to 2009.

    Susan, I must point out to your knitterly, geeky self that a man who'll wear the hat your father has on would also wear Jayne Cobb hat -- there are patterns online!

  3. "As they pulled you out of the oxygen tent/You asked for the latest party," 2009 edition?

    Looks cool.

  4. Great style! And if he continues to venture outside will have no problem striking up conversation - too continued progress.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.