Saturday, December 27, 2008

Back Home

We got home late yesterday afternoon, after a surprisingly smooth trip with lots of lovely leg room (we were in the exit row on both flights). Christmas with Gary's family was pleasant, but -- naturally -- also very sad. I'm happy to be back in my own house, with my own cats and own bed.

I'm behind on everything, though: work commitments, exercise, e-mail, doctor and vet appointments, yada yada. Gary and I haven't exchanged Christmas gifts yet; I haven't even wrapped his. I woke up at 3:30 this morning, woefully jet-lagged, but so far haven't managed to do anything except drink coffee and call my sister to wish her a happy birthday.

And Dad's clamoring for me to go over there today and manage his life. Before Gary and I left town, Fran shoved a stack of Dad's mail at me and said, "Here. You take this." I shoved it back at her and said, "You guys need to deal with your own mail. You can see well enough to read it to him, right?"

When I spoke to him last night, he confirmed that she can read him the mail, but said that she can't figure out how different pieces of mail relate to each other, which is important when you're dealing with medical/insurance matters. I guess Dad can't quite connect those dots either. I hate my own paperwork, and am less than thrilled about having to deal with his. Gahhhhhh.

Meanwhile, Gary will need to help them finish unpacking, and there's still a possible Palo Alto trip looming, which limits the amount of time I have to get my heaps of school stuff done. And yes, I know I'm whining. Things could certainly be much worse. But I still hope we have a better holiday season next year!


  1. I have been reading your journal for quite some time, but don't believe I have commented before. I hope you don't feel you need to apologize for whining here...this is the very place for it, and I can't imagine a more necessary release for all you have been coping with! Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father-in-law and good thoughts for you and your family as you continue to rise to the challenges of these very trying times.

  2. So glad you are safely home. Hope you get some good swimming in as well as all the "tasks." Paperwork is daunting for anyone!

  3. Glad you got home safely, Susan! Paperwork, especially the legal stuff, is complicated and sometimes confusing. The way you seem to have all these legal requirements connected really impresses me. I'd need a checklist and a spread sheet. Opening up here is good I think. It certainly doesn't sound like whining to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the focus of narrative medicine, but isn't this an example of story telling? Kind of a do your own narrative medicine? If so it seems to fit with your philosophy.

    Hugs! & Continued prayers!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.