Wednesday, November 17, 2010


Amazon's now added the customer reviews to the Kindle Fate of Mice page.

Also, I now have six inches of the new qiviut scarf. Tonight I noticed one mistake -- a row of garter stitch that should have been stockinette -- but it's only three stitches, and I don't think it shows that much (certainly not as much as a mistake in one of the lace panels would), and I don't think it's worth trying to frog an inch and a half to fix it. So I'm leaving it as is.

A knitting error! Proof this item was handmade!

Yesterday I talked to our vet about Bali's shedding problem. She says it's probably stress, and recommended a kitty pheromone, Feliway, that's supposed to relax cats (much better than kitty prozac). The problem is that humans are instructed to put a diffuser of this stuff in the room where the cat hangs out the most, but Bali hangs out all over the place. So I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

We're expecting a big snowstorm this weekend, with possible accumulations of five inches by Sunday morning. I really, really hope we don't have to cancel our last church service because of weather. That would, well, just suck.

Tonight I listened to Lesson 5 of the Pimsleur Spanish, but my brain froze often enough that I definitely need to repeat it tomorrow. They say you should go ahead if you get about eighty percent of the lesson, but I was at sixty to seventy-five tonight. That's okay; it's still fun, and there's no rush on this. Anything I learn is more than I knew before, so it's all good, although anyone listening to my hideous pronunciation might not think so.

And now, speaking of painful audio experiences, I'm going to practice my viola.


  1. Anonymous5:41 AM

    Dear Susan,

    Just a quick note to say I'll be thinking of you this week-end snow or no snow, service or no service.

    Peace be with you,


  2. thursdaynextgal2:47 PM

    Hey Susan,

    Try putting the feliway next your your air uptake valve.

    Or, try limiting Bali to a single, feliway-ed room for a few days to get him calmed down a bit, and then let him out but keep the feliway going in that room to create a safe, calming place for him.

    And btw, it is WAY cheaper to buy online than through the store

    Good luck!


  3. Thanks, Jean and Heather!

    Heather, we're going to try that with the intake valve. Confining him to one room would make him even more anxious than he is already. Thanks for the tip!

  4. Susan -

    I have several diffusers of the Feliway in my house. There is also a Feliway spray so that you may spray bedding and such, though this has to be done fairly regularly. My vet warned me that there are cheap imitations, though, so you have to be careful. The real Feliway is a little pricier.

    Also there is a collar that has the same pheromone in it that Feliway has. They have it at PetSmart. And there is always the all-natural collar option, the Calming Collar, which can be found at this website:

    And there is something called Bach's Rescue Remedy, which is a homeopathic remedy for anxiety. Healthy Tails, in Mayberry Landing, has this. And I think Whole Paycheck (Foods) does too.

    Nikolai's reiki therapist suggested for his emotional/anxiety issues that we leave classical music on for him during the day while we are at work. So, that's another thought.

    Just call me the crazy cat lady. Hope you are well.

    Danielle M. (Nikolai had taken over my Goggle ID because he has a blog, so that's why his name shows up now and not mine)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.