Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Language Instruction as Cultural Critique

Today's Pimsleur lesson -- which I'll definitely have to repeat, since my clogged head made it hard for me to hear the tape clearly -- included a scene in a restaurant. Stressed-out tourist says, "I only have eight minutes to eat a sandwich."

The waiter responds, "I understand. You're American, and you have no time."

Ain't that the truth?

Eat, tourist, eat! Run, tourist, run! Run back to the dock while frantically chewing your sandwich, so your cruise ship doesn't leave without you!

Tomorrow's lesson: "Does anyone here know the Heimlich maneuver?"

I still feel like I'm underwater, but I plan to go to work today anyway. We're watching a video in both of my classes, so it should be low-key.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.