Saturday, November 20, 2010

Easily Amused


Last night I wound up having a giggling fit in the middle of my Pimsleur Spanish lesson, which asked the student to participate in a conversation that went roughly like this (but in Spanish, of course):
"Hello! Where are you?"

"I'm in the hotel. Where are you?"

"I'm in the restaurant, but I don't have any pesos."

"You don't have any pesos?"

"No! I don't have any pesos!"

"Do you have any dollars?"

"I have two dollars, but I want pesos! Do you have any pesos?"

"No, I don't have any pesos. I only have dollars."
I had a vivid mental image of some poor schmuck, having just devoured the most expensive item on the menu of the pesos-only restaurant, going in panic through his wallet and then making a frantic call to his equally pesos-deprived traveling companion.

Moral of this story: Make sure you have enough of the local currency before you order the lobster.

This evening, we will practice the following conversation:
"I'm sorry, sir, but you will have to wash dishes in the kitchen."

"Wash dishes in the kitchen? But I don't want to wash dishes!"

"Either you wash dishes in the kitchen or we call the police."

"The police! I don't like the police! And I also don't like dishes!"

"Well then, sir, we need pesos."

"But I have no pesos! I have two dollars! Do you want two dollars?"

"We are calling the police, sir."

"Do the police want two dollars?"

"The police want you to give us pesos, sir."

"I do not like the police, and I do not have any pesos. Take me to your dishes."
In other news, we're still waiting for the snow to start, but the storm's now expected to be less severe than originally anticipated. With any luck, I'll get to church tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:43 AM

    Dear Susan,

    Thank you for sharing - this gave me quite the giggle too. Also took me back to college German - of all things I learned then, I most remember now how to ask a flight attendant whether she has a different magazine, how to offer a new magazine while introducing myself to a neighbor, and how to assert that the Autobahn has no speed limit.

    Ah, the sweet joy of language lessons.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.