Friday, July 23, 2010

Another


I just got e-mail from my cousin Steve telling me that my cousin Ken died very suddenly a few hours ago. It may have been a heart attack; we don't know yet. His wife -- who just lost both of her parents -- found him in the yard. He finished treatment for colon cancer a few years ago, but he'd been doing well, and there were no current serious medical issues that anyone knew of.

Gary and I just saw him at Mom's funeral. He was a talented painter, and we'd talked about his coming up to Reno to paint some Nevada landscapes. He never got to make the trip. Instead, we'll be flying down to his funeral in Phoenix.

Ken's father Jerry, my mother's brother, is abroad and doesn't know yet. Jerry's wife, my Aunt Bobbie, died a few years ago, and now he's lost his sister and a son in quick succession. I can't imagine what the news will do to him.

Horrible, horrible.

My sister was especially close to Ken, and she doesn't know yet either. She'll be asleep by now and won't have seen the e-mail. I didn't have the heart to call her tonight and wake her with such wretched news. I'll talk to her tomorrow.

I think he was about Liz's age, which would also make him about Gary's, which terrifies me, even though I know full well that anything can happen anytime to any of us.

Pray for all of us, please, but especially for Carol and Jerry, and for Ken's brothers Steve and Jim.

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. To say you have had a rough go of it lately is an extreme understatement, but know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is aching for you. What a terrible run you have had lately. Be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for you and your family. This is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, we will pray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:38 AM

    Dear Susan,

    Of course I will pray for you and Carol and Jerry and Steve and Jim.

    I am so sorry that you have had to live through so many losses lately. I hope things will get easier sometime very soon!

    Peace be with you and yours,

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, everybody.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.