Wednesday, November 08, 2006

O Happy Day

Santorum's out. Rumsfeld's out. The balance of power has changed in the House and may change in the Senate.

Nevada has passed a minimum-wage hike, and it looks like we're going to have more stringent anti-smoking legislation, too.

Gary and I are very happy about all this. I know other people aren't, and I know how that feels, because it's how we felt two years ago. You have my condolences.

But at least for the moment, my own faith in the electoral process has been restored, at least a little bit.

Of course, it will be very interesting to see what happens from here on out. I can never stay un-cynical about politics for very long.

4 comments:

  1. We have different political views, you and I. But if there is one thing I have learned, the United States of America will keep on working and functioning no matter what happens in any given election.

    The way I see it is that we all have the same goals - a strong America - and we all love our country. It's our opinions on how to accomplish that goal are what differ.

    Now, to be less formal about it, my son put it very succintly: the Republicans got "bitch-slapped" yesterday.

    My cheeks are still stinging! : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kim! I've felt bitch-slapped in lots of elections, so I can relate, believe me. Two years ago after the elections I literally burst into tears in an elevator at the hospital (I was still in CPE then).

    One of the patients I visited was ecstatic over the election results, and when she realized that I wasn't, she patted my hand and said gently, "I'm sorry you're not happy, dear."

    To me, corny as it sounds, human kindness is what ultimately transcends political differences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TWO years ago? How about TWELVE years ago when the Republicans took over both houses of Congress?

    This has been a LONG time coming!

    Hoo-hah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Claire!

    Twelve years ago, I wasn't as aware of politics as I am now; I don't even remember that election. I remember the 2004 election vividlly.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.