Thursday, November 30, 2006

Change of Shift. Pats on Back.

The latest Change of Shift is up over at Fat Doctor. Thanks for including me!

In writing news, I'm almost done with the Fate of Mice galleys (and a good thing, too, since they're due tomorrow). I also have to respond to a long marketing survey by tomorrow. This is stuff I thought I'd get done over Thanksgiving, but didn't.

I've canceled my classes today to give myself more time; I always build a little slack into the course schedule in case I'm felled by the flu -- which I haven't been this year, hurray! -- so we can still get everything done. And I don't think my students are heartbroken.

My mood's been unaccountably low since Sunday; maybe that's just a delayed reaction to last week's stress, but whatever it is, it's both unpleasant and annoying. After four days of feeling like I've been hit by a truck, I need to remind myself that I've also gotten some very nice compliments this week. So, at the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, I'm going to list them.

* Karen Joy Fowler wrote a lovely blurb for The Fate of Mice; this will join similarly lovely blurbs from Pat Murphy, Jo Walton, and Sheila Williams.

* My friend Inez passed along some kind words from her brother-in-law, who taught my story "Gestella" in one of his classes and said it generated quite a bit of student discussion. (Given the polarized response that story has gotten from some readers, I can just imagine!)

* I received unexpected e-mail from the rector of a local church, who not only enjoyed The Necessary Beggar, but used it as a sermon illustration last Sunday.

Also, rereading The Fate of Mice has been a good experience. It's always nice to look back at one's own work and decide that it doesn't suck.

And on that note, back to the galleys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.