Saturday, November 18, 2006

Cool Stuff

MedGadget, the "internet journal of emerging medical technologies," is having a medical science-fiction writing contest. I think this is a nifty idea. I won't be entering, because a) I have no time and b) I have no use for the digital electronic stethoscope they'll be sending to the winner. I'll be interested to read the winning entry, though!

One reason I have no time to think about this contest is that the deadline is December 1, which is also my deadline for returning the Fate of Mice galleys that arrived in the mail on Thursday. Gosh! It's really going to be a book!

And, speaking of the intersection between writing and medicine, yesterday a colleague at work told me that some folks at UNR are designing a minor in Medical Humanities. He thought I might be interested. I told him I'd love to be involved somehow -- I've been kicking around vague ideas for a course in medicine and literature -- so he's sent my name to the people who are working on the project. We'll see if anything comes of all this. Academic politics being what they are, I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but such a program might give me an exciting way to combine several of my current interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.