Monday, January 26, 2009

More on Mom

My sister just called. Mom's been pretty out of it for the last two days -- sleeping curled in a fetal position in her hospital bed, with an aide assigned to sit next to her and make sure she doesn't throw her legs over the edge of the bed -- and has managed only occasional coherent phrases to me and my sister. Today Liz spoke to Mom's doctor, who's going to call in a hospice consult.

Thank goodness. If we're looking at the inevitable, let it happen at home, in as much comfort as possible.

Today I'm wearing a bracelet she gave me -- the last gift she picked out for me herself, instead of sending a check -- and I've been looking at the things in my office she made or gave me. I realize that I'm already saying good-bye, although I hope that's premature. My gut tells me it's not, but my gut's been wrong about these things before.

Well, we'll see what hospice says.


  1. In case your gut is correct... a poem from Rethabile at Poefrika.

    the last room

  2. Anonymous4:53 PM

    Thinking of you and praying for you and your mother and all the rest of the family that you so clearly love so much and work so hard to take such good care of,


  3. This is hard, Susan. You'll be in my heart constantly. Prayers for you, your mother and your sister are ascending. Hope you can visit if the need arises.


  4. Besides praying, is there anything I can do for you? I went through this last September with my own mother, and I sympathize with you completely.

    Enjoy every second with her you can. Tell her everything you want her to hear. Ask her about things you've always wondered about, and prepare for some interesting answers.

    Know that you are not walking through this alone. I'm propping you up in thoughts and prayers.

    (And I don't think your gut is wrong. I'll pray for peace and healing, on this side, and on the other.)

  5. I think your gut has a good chance of being right. I'm so sorry--this is not a milestone ANY family looks forward to. Prayers for you all.

  6. Sorry to hear this - just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family. From my own experience whatever happens it's a difficult time. Best wishes from Liverpool.

  7. Our prayers, sympathies and best wishes as well.

    And again if there's anything you need around here just let me know.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.