Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Huge Changes at the Last Minute

Yesterday, Dad's physical therapist told me he isn't safe to live by himself, so in a flurry of paperwork I arranged for him to move into the assisted-living place (at least with basic stuff like a bed and clothing; we can move the rest more slowly, since we're keeping his old place through February) on Saturday evening after Fran leaves. I'm rounding up friends -- and hoping that one has a truck! -- for this task.

Also yesterday, my sister told me that she and her husband had decided to give Mom one more go at rehabilitation before going the hospice route. But this morning, Mom's getting more medical attention at the hospital. My sister had noticed that Mom was grimacing in pain and talked the hospital into doing back x-rays: Mom has three new compression fractures. A nurse sat down with Liz and suggested that Mom's dizziness and fall might have been from a stroke, so she called in a neurologist, who's evidently, in my sister's words, "very alarmed" about Mom's status and is ordering all kinds of tests.

The neurologist is worried because Mom clearly sees Liz but doesn't respond, instead closing her eyes, and also because she has "marked bilaterial" something-or-other, a technical phrase my sister couldn't remember but that indicates very abnormal reflexes.

Poor Mom, having to go through a bunch of new tests!


  1. Anonymous10:30 AM

    Oy vey...

    We ARE all holding you up in prayer, and your parents, your dear husband (who we know is grieving himself), doctors, friends, etc...
    PLUS praying that someone you know can help with a truck!! If not, we noticed that Budget was renting trucks here for $20/day

  2. Oy vey indeed, and heavens to betsy...

    Prayers big time. I hope that your sister will allow her thoughts about rehab to be influenced by the results of the neuro consult. It may very well be that your Mom has had an event from which very little functionality can be recovered with rehab--it sounds to me that that is what the neuro is suggesting, and if that's true your Mom will receive far more comfortable and compassionate care as a hospice patient. I realize however that that is not a milestone your sister may be ready to approach; nonetheless, for a very medically fragile patient, "SNF for rehab" can literally be unsafe. More prayers.

  3. Oh dear! Susan, I'm going to add your mother's neurologist to my prayer list in the hopes that he finds something he can do to help.



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.