Saturday, April 03, 2010

Preaching as Performance Art


In a sudden burst of inspiration after posting the homily this morning, I decided to dress up as a fisherman to be in role. I'm going to wear rubber boots -- acquired, after several hours of searching, at WalMart, where otherwise I never shop -- a fishing vest, a windbreaker, and a hat. At the dollar store, I bought a toy butterfly net in which I'll tote a large, brightly colored stuffed trout, a dog toy acquired at PetSmart.

I'm bringing a small table and a frying pan. Before I give the homily, I'll pretend to clean the fish and start frying it on the "fire". After the homily, I'll wish everyone a Happy Easter and offer them fish, removing the toy fish and the paper towel under it to reveal Swedish Fish and Pretzel Goldfish, depending on whether folks want their fish sweet or salty.

What fun! I wasted far too much time today planning all this and shopping for it, but hey: it's my own personal Easter celebration!

I'll let you know how it goes. In a lot of parishes, I'd be thrown out on my ear for doing something like this, but I think my congregation's sufficiently zany to enjoy it.

And best of all, this means I don't need to iron anything to wear for Easter. Woo-hoo!

2 comments:

  1. I chuckled through most of this post.

    And all that to get out of wearing an Easter dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Although it wasn't just to get out of wearing an Easter dress; it also worked with the homily.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.