Saturday, January 09, 2010


It's a sleepy kind of day. Gary's downtown at a Met opera simulcast; I stayed home t work on various projects. So far I've knkt a bit more on Marin's second sock and practiced the fiddle for an hour. Today I finally managed to sound out one of the themes from Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, the first piece of classical music (other than the mandatory Nutcracker) that enchanted me as a child.

When I was ten or twelve, one of my father's legal clients came over for dinner, listened to me enthusing about Scheherazade and Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije, and turned up his nose. I liked those two pieces because when I listened to them, I could see stories unfoling in my head. But they were lowbrow compositions, the client informed me, as my father and stepmother exchanged glances; I should work on forming more sophisticated tastes. He drew up a list of "better" music -- I don't remember now what was on it -- and I dutifully wrote down his suggestions.

The minute he left, my father harummphed and said, "He's a snob, Suz. You go right ahead and keep liking what you like."

Sounding out the tune today brought all that back. These last few days, I've been thinking a lot about Dad in general. A year ago, we'd just learned that he'd been randomized to the control group in the Stanford study, dashing our hopes for a new heart valve for him. Looking back on it, I think a new valve wouldn't have mattered, or would only have maintained him in relative misery. But a year ago, we were sad, and shortly to embark on a hectic few weeks of Fran deciding to leave, followed by Dad's move into assisted living. In the middle of all that, my mother was in the hospital, too. It was a crazy time, and I'm very glad to be past it.

Oh, speaking of hearts, my test yesterday went fine. I don't have results yet, but suspect everything will be normal. Afterwards, Gary and I went to see Avatar; we even, on the recommendation of friends, sprang for the 3D version. It's a visually stunning film, and we both enjoyed it, even though the story's completely derivative and predictable (Gary commented that Kevin Costner should sue for the rip-off of Dances With Wolves). Even though I saw all the plot developments coming five miles away, I didn't care, because it was so much fun to watch.

I wonder if my father's client would have appreciated my favorite music more in new, startling interpretations. A jazz or bluegrass Scheherazade? Has anyone done that?

In other news, the periodontal putty's still in place. Yay!


  1. Anonymous5:31 AM

    Very glad to hear the promising report of the heart test. Hope you see the expected good results soon,


  2. Avatar was Wonderful! But I'd never be able to view the 3D because I don't have fusion between my eyes and thus no depth perception. That's okay I learned to compensate long ago.



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.