Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!

Dr. Hebert has posted a terrific edition of Grand Rounds, an homage to Poe's The Raven. ("Quoth the Intern, "Nevermore!") Nice graphic, too. I'm delighted to be included.

Gary and I love Day of the Dead artwork, so I've included some here. I'll bring candy to my classes today. Laundry permitting, I plan to wear mostly all black with orange socks, and my white-plastic-with-rhinestone-eyes skeleton earrings from Salem, MA, if I can find them. I think one of them is missing a limb, but that will only add to the effect.

I've been thinking today about my aunt, who died in June, and about my grandfather (my mother's father and my aunt's father-in-law), who died in 1987, and about his first wife (my mother's mother), who died in a terrible car accident in 1938. They're all together now, somewhere, and someday I'll be with them, too: with them and with a chain of other people whose names I don't even know, stretching back to the beginning.

When you think of death as a family reunion, it isn't nearly as scary. This is the advantage of being the baby of my generation. I'm going to have a lot of people, both known and unknown, waiting for me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100% when you describe death as a family reunion. I can't count how many times I have gotten through missing my grandparents by imagining seeing them again. It makes me happy knowing that they are in heaven with each other and that one day I will be there too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.