Tuesday, November 24, 2009

More Matters Medical

We took Harley to the vet yesterday for bloodwork and urinalysis. He's been acting just fine, although he's lost a bit of weight (possibly because he's not entirely convinced about the new food, although he is eating it), but midway through his testing, the vet came back into the exam room and said gently, "I need to show you something." She held up a syringe full of his urine, which was dark red from blood. She said it had been a clean stick and his bladder looked normal on ultrasound, and that he didn't seem to be in any pain when she palpated him. The blood will interfere with the protein measurements they wanted to do, though, so he'll need another urinalysis when we've gotten this problem cleared up.

It's most likely a bladder or kidney infection, so I'm hoping it will resolve with antibiotics. We're waiting to hear back from her about test results and next steps.

Last night over dinner, Gary said, "No animals or humans are allowed to die around Christmas this year." Amen. I called his mom yesterday to acknowledge that it would have been my father-in-law's 83rd birthday, and she was grateful.

I'm having bloodwork today, too. I've been unaccountably exhausted in uncharacteristic ways (i.e. exercise makes me sleep more, not less), so my doctor wants to check hormone levels, among other things. The last time this happened, it was because of my sleep disorder, but that's being treated, so it's most likely something else. I've been doing things like sleeping through church, and even for someone who's admittedly not a morning person, that's a bit much!

Oh, I have a new favorite thing to do while I'm knitting (if we're not watching a DVD, that is): listen to audio books on my BlackBerry! I downloaded the BB software from Audible, and I've been having a great time. Their books are expensive, but they're having a Thanksgiving promotion where selected titles are free. Check it out! This will be a wonderful thing for plane trips, too.

So what am I listening to? First I checked out a History Channel program on combat medicine, and now I'm a few chapters into Steven Johnson's The Ghost Map, about a deadly cholera epidemic in Victorian England. Fascinating stuff, but not for the squeamish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.