Friday, May 15, 2009

Summer Lace


I've started knitting a new scarf in a diagonal eyelet pattern, with lovely Noro sock yarn. Although the yarn's a wool-nylon blend, the eyelets will make it cool for summer.

It's an easy pattern, but on Wednesday I was working on the scarf at a concert, and one of the women behind me leaned over and said, "What's that stitch? That's beautiful!"

The thing I love about knitting is that so many easy patterns look very impressive. Bwah-hah-hah!

This scarf will be a gift, if it's long enough, but I want to make one for myself, too.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:23 PM

    Have you ever read any of Elizabeth Zimmermann's books on knitting? Not only did her practical, well written advice get me started on my enthusiasm for the craft but her "mistake stitch sweater" idea got me thinking deeply about the fact that, repetition of simple concepts can create an almost unlimited number of variations.

    This led me to thoughts about the genius of the essentially binary format of DNA -- and the variations that such a simple scheme can make possible.

    The seed of the ideas she planted have tended to make knitting more of a sacred experience for me as a result.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.