Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Moms are All Right


My mother's head scan checked out fine -- as did x-rays of a number of lumps and bruises from the fall on other parts of her body -- so she and my sister got to go home. Yay!

I called this evening to ask if my sister had forgiven me for complicating her morning. "I'm the one who called you," she reminded me. "I half figured you'd talk me into it. I wanted your input, anyway."

"Well, it could have been worse," I said. "At least I didn't call the police this time."

I'm never going to live that one down.

Meanwhile, Gary's mom Doris arrived safely from New Jersey to visit us for a week. It's the first time she's traveled since her husband died in December, and the first time, I believe, that she's ever flown by herself. For someone who's seventy-nine, that's a big deal!

We're putting her up in a nice hotel so she doesn't have to manage the stairs in our house. We got her an accessible suite, which turns out to be roughly half the size of Nevada: the only view is of an airshaft (ugh!), which is a pity since this place is right on the river, but she has tons of room. And she can go outside to see the river.

Tomorrow I'll pick her up and take her to church with me -- it will be the first time she's heard me preach, although she's read many of my sermons -- and then we'll come back to the house for lunch. In the afternoon we'll swim and go to a violin concert at the university. It should be a very nice day!

1 comment:

  1. Glad your Mom is okay, Susan. Sounds like you and your sister are doing well in the communications area too. :-) Congrats on the Mom-in-law visit! Have a great week!

    Hugs!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.