Sunday, June 29, 2008

Not Much to Report


For the past few days, I've been knitting, reading and writing every day, and therefore meeting my summer goals.

Knitting's going well. Reading's going well. In preparation for my "Writing as a Healing Ministry" course at PSR, I'm reading Louise DeSalvo's Writing as a Way of Healing, the required text for the course. None of the material's new to me, but it's a helpful refresher, especially as I struggle with November. DeSalvo emphasizes that writing needs to be an ordinary, daily activity, and also that we have to make conscious space for it by saying "no" to other things.

A few weeks ago, I got e-mail from the head of our Diocesan Commission on Ministry, asking if I'd be willing to team-teach a Preachers-in-Training course starting later this year or early next. I like the priest I'd be working with (who was one of my classmates when I went through PIT), and of course it's an honor to be invited. Even a year ago, I'd have said "yes" without thinking.

But it's a three-year commitment -- the class meets once a month, for three hours, for three years -- and between the English Department, the Medical School, the hospital, and my own creative projects, I've been feeling stretched a little thin. I really don't want to take on anything else. I don't think it would be wise or healthy. (Sure, I could knit less. But I don't want to!)

I dithered about this for a while, and this morning consulted one of my parish priests, who said, "Can you offer to teach just a few classes, as a guest lecturer?" That was a great idea that hadn't occurred to me, so this afternoon I e-mailed the COM guy back. I hope it works out!

Meanwhile, the current chapter of the book is still a struggle. But I show up at the computer for an hour or two every day and fiddle with it, and each day I make a little progress, and if I keep doing this steadily, I'll probably gain momentum at some point. That's the idea, anyway. In any case, Louise DeSalvo would approve of the fact that I've now said "no" to something to make more room for the writing.

And the knitting. She says in the book that she knits every day, too. That made me feel better! (All the best people knit, donchewknow.)

1 comment:

  1. Good idea from your parish priest, Susan! It's other options seen that makes me so often appreciate my PC. :) I hope it works out for you too.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.