Friday, September 28, 2007

Wish Me Luck

So I just took a bold step towards learning a new skill, and ordered some knitting needles and yarn from an online knitting store. This outfit also has handy-dandy online knitting instructions, and they make it very easy to order the supplies for their free online patterns.

Don't ask me when I think I'm going to have time to learn to knit. I don't have enough time to do everything I want to do as it is. Still, ever since my ceramics class got cancelled last summer, I've been itching to do something tactile, and with cold weather coming, knitting's appealing. And the supplies weren't very expensive, so it's not like I'll be out a lot of money if, as is entirely possible, this stuff only gathers dust on a shelf, or if I wind up in a hopeless snarl of needles, yarn, and pouncing cats.

My two immediate goals are:

1. To learn to knit prayer shawls. A friend at church does this, and they're beautiful.

2. To learn to knit simple, safe stuffed toys for kids at the hospital. This will be more fun and meaningful (if more time-consuming) than buying them at the dollar store.

If I get good enough at knitting, maybe I'll be able to knit my way through dull meetings at work, as some colleagues do. My mother knit her way through her high school classes; this annoyed her teachers no end, until they realized that she was absorbing more than other kids who were taking copious notes. (She was valedictorian of her class.) She knit a lot when I was growing up and made beautiful sweaters for me and my sister. I think one reason I've been nervous about learning to knit is feeling as if I'll never be as good at is as Mom!

However, the two projects I have in mind are rated "beginner," and the point's to bring comfort much more than to be pretty or perfect. That goal should help ease some of my anxieties.


  1. You definitely have my wish for good luck Susan. I never conquered knitting even though I had an aunt who showed me how. I did get to be sort of ok at crochet and thus much prefer it. Warning. If you end up switching to the prayer shawl production business instead of writing I will want one. :)


  2. As an avid knitter, I am tickled that you should try to learn this craft. There is something soothing about having your hands busy, while your mind is free to wander (don't worry, it won't take too long to be able to think about more than knit two purl two). A prayer shawl is a wonderful idea- one I may borrow.

  3. Anonymous3:22 PM

    I love the idea of making prayer shawls! Could you maybe post a picture of one?

  4. Good for you! I just finished reading KNITTING INTO THE MYSTERY which is all about prayer shawls. I started one and then discovered I didn't like the pattern they suggested. I was going to swatch something different, then I got the news that we have to move so starting a new project is not a good idea right now.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.