Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Old Home Week


In the past week, I've gotten e-mail from two of my TAs from my first semester of college.

My English TA, who was a graduate student then and is now a professor at another school, contacted me because he's on a tenure-and-promotion committee, and a question came up about a candidate's science-fiction publication. He didn't know how to evaluate the magazine (is it peer-reviewed? is it any good?), and e-mailed me to ask about it.

My Physics for Poets TA -- yes, I really took this course! -- is living in Europe now, and has stayed in touch sporadically over the years. He e-mailed me because he'll be in Reno for a conference in November and wondered if he could get together with me and Gary.

I've known both of these guys since freakin' 1978. That's almost thirty years.

Gracious, I feel old!

But I'm also genuinely touched that both of them remember me and went to the effort of contacting me.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! A while back I had lost contact with my college roommate. She found me on classmates.com and we reconnected. I was thrilled to hear from her. She even had an old picture of us when we were young which she shared with me. Congratulations on maintaining longterm relationships.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Oh Susan, you feel old. How about MY 50th high school reunion? My plants doing fine, thank you. How is yours?

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.